The Cycle of Prayer: Introduction to the idea
© Tom Albin, 2008. Reprinted with permission
- God took the initiative in creation.
- Gen. 1:1, in the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
- God took the initiative in redemption.
- Rom. 5:8, “while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us”
- God takes the initiative in the relationship and communication we call prayer.
- Prayer begins in the heart of God, it comes to us, and we pray it back to God.
- Visual representation of the Cycle of Prayer
As we begin this prayer exercise, we ask God in the words of scripture:
- “Lord, teach us to pray….” Luke 11:2-9
- “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening” 1 Samuel 3:10
Silence for 30, 60, or 90 seconds: As things come to your mind, silently lift/pray them back to God.
Share with your neighbor (not your spouse) what went well and what surprised you.
Open the conversation for group reflection.
Close session with the Lord’s Prayer, “ Our Father….